Dita2Kirby (2) - Adaption Of The XSL-Template

The difficulties in building a plugin dita2kirby.

Kirby is a file-based CMS. It works with text files. So why not create a DITA-OT plugin that generates txt-files made for Kirby CMS? As a result you can export your content to the web and add a comment function and much more. And most of all: You can customize the design.

Download of the original plugin

The orinal plugin that I want to adopt for an Kirby output is Jarno Elovirta´s plugin net.sourceforge.dita-ot.html. I have downloaded it under https://github.com/dita-ot/dita-ot. After unzipping the zip file I copied the plugin into my plugin folder of my DITA-Open Toolkit.

Like every plugin I had to integrate it.

ant -f integrator.xml

Adopting the plugin´s XSL file

One of the main tasks of the plugin is to create a so-called YAML header like it is used by github pages:

---
# Generated from DITA source
layout: base
title: "Innovation immer mit Gewinn?"
---

A Kirby site needs the following notation in its header (without asterisk):

Title: Your Title here
*----
Text: Your text here

That is a solvable task even for a Technical Writer like me. I changed the file dita2html.xsl of the plugin this way:

<xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:text>Title: </xsl:text>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="*[contains(@class, ' topic/topic ')]/*[contains(@class, ' topic/title ')]" mode="text-only"/>
    <xsl:text>&#xA;</xsl:text>
    <xsl:text>----&#xA;</xsl:text>
    <xsl:text>Text: </xsl:text>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="*" mode="chapterBody"/>
 </xsl:template>

After generating a DITA output with the transtype net.sourceforge.dita-ot.html I got the expected result. Namely the above mentioned typical Kirby header.

I changed the file extension from html into txt and uploaded the file to my Kirby CMS. The outcome was an error page. What went wrong? In my despair I delete the initial HTML-tag <body> and its corresponding closing tag and uploaded again. Voila - it worked!

I searched for the string <body> over the whole DITA-OT directory. The string was found in the dita2htmlImpl.xsl of the xhtml plugin. It was a template with a mode="chapterBody" - just like the second template in the plugin´s file dita2html.xsl. I copied the template from line 4056 and pasted it into my dita2html.xsl file. Afterwards I deleted the <body>-Tag and a lot more things that I believed I would no longer need it.

My second template within the plugin´s XSL-file now looks like this:

<xsl:template match="*" mode="chapterBody">
      <xsl:call-template name="generateBreadcrumbs"/>
      <xsl:call-template name="gen-user-sidetoc"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates/> <!-- this will include all things within topic; therefore, -->
      <!-- title content will appear here by fall-through -->
      <!-- followed by prolog (but no fall-through is permitted for it) -->
      <!-- followed by body content, again by fall-through in document order -->
      <!-- followed by related links -->
      <!-- followed by child topics by fall-through -->
      <xsl:call-template name="gen-endnotes"/>    <!-- include footnote-endnotes -->
      <xsl:call-template name="gen-user-footer"/> <!-- include user's XSL running footer here -->
      <xsl:call-template name="processFTR"/>      <!-- Include XHTML footer, if specified -->
      <xsl:value-of select="$newline"/>
  </xsl:template>

What happened after uploading to Kirby CMS - see part 3 of this series.

Ads